Tuesday 8 November 2016

Why Raw Vegan?

I want to give a brief explanation on why I decided to choose a Raw Vegan Diet rather than Vegetarian or Vegan. Since I was around 20 years old I started to be vegetarian, growing up in Italy is really hard avoiding cheese and mozzarella products, which I absolutely adore by the way. I lasted something like 15 years or so, with some exceptions here and there along the way. Since I moved to Canada I started having issues with my weight and my health in general – tell me about the North America food please!
My diet changed so I started to eat most of the chicken meats and any type of sea food, with exceptions more often than generic episodes. But my weight problems increased drastically, not only I wasn't able to manage my weight anymore, I had an eating disorder, I was taking tons of supplements, injections, anything that could help me heal from my insane food obsession. I was taking drugs thinking that could help me with my addiction but maybe it was the opposite results.
So I thought many times to go back on my vegetarian lifestyle, mostly because I love animals and I never felt "right" on eating them, but again being vegetarian I thought doesn't make any sense. I would still eat animal derived products, so still helping this cruel market doing whatever is doing and eating products that in any case will enable killing animals. Not to mention all the hormones given to animals and their food that I would be exposed to. So I thought ok maybe I could be vegan, but this option sounded non-sense to me as well. Maybe there are some extents on being Vegan that are ok, but where do you draw the line? I mean an Oreo cookie is Vegan, should I be ok with that? No, this was not what I was looking for; I wanted to start a diet that I could enjoy what Mother Nature gives us, just like it is; no processed food in any form.
The answer for me was only one: Raw Vegan Diet, nothing that comes from a box, no oil, no salt, no caffeine, no pops, nothing coming from animals or fish, no supplements, no sugar, no artificial sweetener, no grains, no Stevia, no starch, very small amount of fat, nothing that's been fried, boiled, baked or processed in anyway at high temperatures – that could potentially destroy what are the natural benefits of the food itself. This Diet so far is keeping under control my cravings, this alone is the best benefit I could ever ask to a diet, and I know I often overeat but I don't feel miserable, my weight is doing fine so far, I have 2/3 bowel movements a day, I feel happy eating what I eat, I love the food, I don't feel on diet for the first time since I don't know how long. Do I miss anything? Probably I miss a warm pizza sometimes, a warm soup; I will miss my grandma pasta recipe but nothing that will ever make me regret what I'm doing for my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment