Monday 10 July 2017

Why I have a white-coated tongue while Fasting?

So curious on why my tongue is white when I’m fasting I did some researches and try to find a scientific reason for it; I was never sold on the detoxing through your tongue theory. I found different medical answers basically reporting similar responses, this is a simple one found at this link:


"Your tongue is covered with little finger-like projections called papillae. These are what give it a rough velvety surface. They are not the same thing as taste buds!
The papillae themselves are coated with cells; technically stratified squamous epithelial cells, but don't get put off by this detail.
As we eat normally, those cells are sloughed off the tongue (and the other tissues of the mouth) by abrasion with food as it goes past. A mouthful of dry tortilla chips is quite abrasive. So they are continually being formed to replace the ones which are lost.
After a day or so without eating, those cells are still being formed; your tongue doesn't know you are fasting. As a result, a thicker layer than normal builds up, giving a whitish appearance.
After a few normal mouthfuls, the surface cells have been abraded away normally and your tongue looks pink again."


So basically my tongue is white just because, since I’m fasting, all those cells that cover my papillae are keeping on being produces and never scraped off. Now that makes perfect sense to me. When Dry Fasting the white-coated tongue appears way faster than a Water Fast, I guess because somehow the water, the lemon scrape off some of the cells being produced, so the whitening process is kind of slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment