Monday 30 January 2017

Dry Fasting - my personal experiences

In the past few weeks I did for the first time a Dry Fast, where you don't eat or drink anything – including water. Now, before you think I'm crazy and I'm out of my mind with suicide tendency, let me say that I found a lot of information regarding Dry Fasting and its benefits, so I felt confident that this type of Fast would help me achieve my goal of having my own perfect health status that I'm so tenaciously trying to reach.
As opposite of a Water Fast a Dry Fast cannot be done for prolonged number of days or weeks, and that is for obvious reasons. It usually goes from few hours to few days; apparently the maximum registered so far was 18 days of nothing but air. Performing a Dry Fast is mainly done when a person wants to let the body heal itself, cleanse, letting the body generate the superior water that it needs and reconnect spiritually with it.
I personally didn't become Gandhi neither I connected with anything rather than my bed during the Fast; but I guess everyone is different. My first Dry Fast was for 36 hours, followed by a 12 hours water fast and a sort of refeeding in the evening. Since I felt really tired and lethargic during my first Dry Fast I wasn't impressed about the result or the way I was feeling. As often happens with a Fast I was constipated and overall my energy was lower than normal. I did some researches on Dry Fasting and noticed that almost everyone was suggesting not spending all day in bed, since your lymph need to get in motion in the body with light exercises or walks; so I thought that could be the culprit of my results. So the next week I tried again with a 48 hours Dry Fast, started during the regular working days, so I was in the office forced to walk and do my things normally. This time around I didn't feel lethargic I have to say it, however I still had constipation issues and in general not drinking water for 2 days was not a pleasant experience for me. I did not connect to my body, I did not feel the mental clarity I usually have after few day of Water Fasting and I'm not sure my body decided to produce this superior water to clean and heal itself, most likely it did not get the memo within 48 hours!
Based on my personal experience the only thing I liked of this type of Fast were the reduced number of trips to the bathroom; but rather than that, I won't likely do again a Dry Fast. My ketosis even after 2 days was not high as the Water Fast; I had a lot of water retention after completing the 48hrs and the digestive system was off for a couple of days – way longer time to recover if compared to a Water Fast.
I believe everyone is unique and we respond to a fast in different ways; you have to find what works for you and what not. For me it's a trial journey, I push my body on trying new thing every month, trying to listen on how I feel. I completed earlier a fast often, just because I wasn't feeling right. I know now that my willpower is nothing when my body doesn't listen; this is my life from binging to fasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment