Thursday 21 June 2018

My new challenge - Prolonged Dry/Water Fast

Dry Fasting Day #1
@ 9:00 AM - 12hrs into the Dry Fast
I finally decided to begin a new Fast, this time I'm fully committed on reaching my goals!
It's been 16 days now since my surgery, I had a terrible flu after the surgery and my willpower of beginning a new fast was basically out of the window. But now I am ready, I keep on repeating myself that - no matter what I choose - time will pass and it's my choice to either wake up like this another day or wake up a new me everyday.
So far is ok, only 12hrs into a Dry fast; my stomach is growling but hunger goes in waves for me, so I just need to wait for the wave to pass. The first 3/4 days are always tough but, after that, I feel better, my mood improves and I start to fell more positive.
@ 12:45 PM - 15.5hrs into the Dry Fast
I'm feeling really hungry now, I guess because it's lunch time. I had lots of temptations of giving up for today and eat something, that I could start again tomorrow or the next day. But I don't want to give up and I'm still here with no food and no water, trying to be strong. A light headache is coming up and I'm often yawning, I guess my body's way to ask for food. I'm also feeling all my muscles like asleep with a strong desire of stretching all the times, but I'm not sure this is related to the fast...too little time to see any kind of side effect yet.
Dry Fasting Day #2
@ 11:00 AM - 38hrs into the Dry Fast
A day passed, not without difficulties or temptations I have to say, but I'm hanging in there and keeping on fasting. I had no water yet but I'm showering and using water to clean or brush my teeth. I'm not thirsty nor hungry right now. I didn't check my Ketosis yet because I believe it's too early to see any sign of ketones. Maybe I'll check it in a couple of days, it usually starts around day #4 for me. I didn't have any BM today and not feeling the need quite yet, but maybe soon I'll do an enema, when I'll resume to drink water. I took all my measurements yesterday, I want to check my progresses every week or so. Weight wise I was on a terrible 75.4KG (166lb); but I trust the Dry Fast that helps me burn a lot of fat - if I can stick to it long enough. Today there's a Pride celebration in my office with a lot of free food, I'm thinking on ditching the celebration, I'm not in ketosis yet and I'm extremely weak when comes to food.
I went to the gym this morning at 6:00AM, just for half hour workout. I'm not in shape so working out can be really tough on me and my heavy weight. I hope it will improve with the time and the pounds melting away!

Dry Fasting Day #5
@ 9:00 AM - 108hrs into the Dry Fast
I'm well into my fifth Dry Fast day, still not feeling thirsty but at times a bit hungry. My tongue is getting white-coated and the feeling in my mouth is terrible. That is the reason why I'm always tempted on breaking my Dry Fast.

This morning, despite the 4+ days of dry fasting, I'm still only in medium Ketosis. I don't know why but the more I fast the longest takes for me to enter into Ketosis. They say that you get keto-adapted and reach ketosis faster, but it's not true, at least for me. My little machine didn't show any change in my Body Fat %, but I'm not sure it's actually precise. I'm in ketosis after all and I can see fat slimming down on my belly - even my ring is fitting larger now! And I cannot say I had that much muscle on the little right finger ("pinky").
I was able to workout this morning, but my strengths are not the same, I get hot sometimes for no reason. My blood pressure must be low in these days. I cannot do much cardio but I was able to do more weight lifting and stuff like that. I know that exercising while fasting is not advisable, but I don't want to stop on being active; it does not help during a fast, I get weaker if I don't move - believe it or not. In any case my workout is not that strenuous, I take it easy and rest between exercises as long as I need. 
@ 1:00 PM - 112hrs into the Dry Fast
I don't feel thirsty but just desire to break my Dry Fast and drink some water. Usually when I start to drink again, after a prolonged Dry Fast, my heart rate goes up quickly, even with a small sip. I get hot like when you drink a cold cold beverage in a hot summer day (even though I drink water only room temperature). I feel more energetic though than yesterday; I didn't have much to do this morning at work so I sat on my chair browsing Internet and basically doing nothing. I would say it's a kind of rest! I also believe my Ketosis is improving so my energy is going up. Well I hope so, I'd like to see a dark ketostix tomorrow morning. I'm sure after drinking water my weight loss will stop if not reverse for a bit. But I'm not worried, I know it's not fat that I gained but only water.
Fasting  Day #6
I broke my Dry Fast yesterday afternoon with just water. After I drunk a glass of water I had a BM right away. That was good for me, I don't want anything sitting in my GI tract for such long time. Last night around 2:15AM I started to feel uncomfortable with my stomach, I knew a new BM was coming. So it did. Not much, mostly water but I felt better after. My arms are starting to feel weaker and I don't like this thing because it's been only 6 days and my journey is still long. I want to keep on exercising during this fast and if I'm too weak I won't be able to. My Ketosis this morning was high at 80mg/dL, I'm happy for that. That means I'm burning fat at higher pace. I'm thinking on including Dry Fast days during this fasting journey, like 2/3 days here and there, depends on how I feel. I like the fact that I don't have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes when I'm dry fasting! I'm so lazy I know...
Last night I felt my feet freezing; not that was cold and I didn't feel cold the rest of my body either. I just had cold feet, I wanted to wake up and put on a big pair of socks, but I was too sleepy to do it. I'm sure it was the Ketosis rising up. I didn't have a great sleep too, very common for me - while fasting, having these sleepless nights; not ideal when trying to rest as much as I can.
Today I had coffee and a bit of lime in my morning hot water. The coffee left me a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm sure it's also due to the white-coating on my tongue. Apparently after few days this issue should go away, but I either never did a fast long enough to seeing disappearing this issue or it doesn't happen to me at all. I must to say, after all my tongue is not that white - I'm hoping it's because my detoxing process, through the fasts is improving with the time.
Fasting  Day #8
So far I'm doing ok; my sleep is getting interrupted as usual but my mental clarity is improving day by day. My weight loss is already slowed down unfortunately; maybe because I'm drinking lime/lemon water and 2 coffee per day, I don't know but my Ketosis is still very good. I went to the gym yesterday and I have to say that was a bad workout. I need to rest more between repetitions and not that I'm exercising like crazy anyway, I don't have the body shape to do it! This coming long weekend I'd like to try to take a break from my liquids and do 3 days of Dry Fast, just to reset my stomach. It doesn't like much when I drink coffee or anything else for that matter. Not that I drink anything but yesterday I had water with electrolytes powder and I was noxious after few minutes. Never do it again. Days are longer when fasting, well even nights since I have hard time sleeping. These trips to the bathroom really annoy me, that is also why I want to do a Dry Fast. Energy levels are ok, just not too much strength in my arms but it was expected, I hope it won't get worst with the time, since I just renewed 24 sessions with my personal trainer. I still want to try to workout as much as I can, if anything just to build a healthy routine of exercising.
Fasting Day #9
I am almost at 2-digit number with my days. At the end it's true, time goes no matter what; sure fasting for a prolonged period of time is tough, days feel longer, time is managed differently - since the cooking-eating-cleaning dishes part is missing. But days will pass and time will be gone, so my extra fat I hope. From yesterday I got a better weight loss, a bit more than half pound - it doesn't seem much - but I'm happy to see a loss anyway. It is common, during a fast, that I don't see any change even for 3 days, crazy when not eating absolutely anything.
Surprisingly I slept very well last night, I woke up a couple of times only to use the washroom, but - apart from that - I was sleeping fine. It's amazing what a good night sleep can do. This early morning I workout in the gym with my personal trainer, it was a good workout. I didn't have much strengths when we first began to exercise, but after half hour or so, I felt very energetic and pushed a bit more. Most probably I will be a bit sore tomorrow, but it's a fair price to pay I guess. Today is Friday and this is a long weekend, well for most of the people around me. Not for me unfortunately, that I'll be working the whole 3 days. But I want to take as chance to Dry Fast if I can. This morning I took a 50million probiotics pill, thinking on helping my good bacteria; I'm also drinking - on every other day - the Bell Kidney Tea, with squeezed lemon or lime; I hope to help my kidney filtering better during this prolonged Fast. I'm not hungry at all, sure I feel my stomach growling once in a while, but it doesn't bother me and certainly is not tempting to eat anything. I can already see my body changing, I didn't lose much in terms of number, but I think it's mostly fat (which is lighter than muscle) so more visible - for me at least. I feel my skin is clearing up nicely; my chicken feet wrinkles are not that bad so far, which is so nice for me. I never cared much about wrinkles but ...less wrinkles? Why not!
Last night I had sort of signs that my TOM was coming, but today I don't see anything, maybe I will begin my period officially in the next few hours, or for sure if I Dry Fast. Today I had a BM, mostly liquid but I prefer knowing that my GI is still working and not fully asleep, because otherwise when I break my fast I'll be constipated for days and days! I don't want to do that. I was also thinking of doing another colonics in the next few days, so I can clean up what else is left in my colon, didn't decide yet.

Fasting Day #13
My good intention of doing a long weekend Dry Fasting didn't go through as I was hoping. Also true that, in the back of my mind, I had this certainty of not be able to pursue my goal. Into a Fast I have always difficulties of beginning a new Dry Fast. Let's see going forward, if I will be so tired of drinking, that I'll give up the liquids altogether for few days. My weight is going down very slowly, I must say it's also my fault. I'm drinking so much coffee and milk/cream that I'm actually surprised why I'm not gaining! It's obviously clear to me that my metabolism is already very slow. But this doesn't take much, the most important part is being aware of this issue and breaking a fast so slowly to gently let the body restore a good metabolic rate. Easy to say right?
One thing that I'm noticing every moment of the day is my mental clarity; I called limitless effect. It's on in full speed right now, I'm so focused, I can think and talk so clearly. Speaking using my mother language makes me feel like a professor! I can also give easy explanations about feelings, situations, behaviours. It is unbelievable how the brain can function so efficiently when in this state. Yesterday I was wondering if the human beings, exposed to this type of mental sharpness for centuries, would have evolved differently. No answer of course is ever possible, just thinking. When fasting is all in your head, every thing you do, will first pass in your head many times. I call this state limitless effect also because, as the original movie, the desire of cleaning and organizing stuff is amplified. I was working this past long weekend and I cleaned up and sorted all the drawers of the house. I'm usually very precise but - when in this state - is much more. I'm also happy to report that, despite my low ketones at 15mg/dL this morning, I'm full of energy; no sign of weakness whatsoever. I can't wait to workout tomorrow morning and see how my body reacts.
One thing - on the negative side - happened yesterday though. I was getting and cleaning something fell on the floor, on standing up I felt extremely dizzy, as rarely happened in my life. I guess my blood sugar level was very low, it didn't last more than few seconds, and I felt better right away. I'm definitely not worried, I'm sure my blood pressure and glycemic index are all messed up. But I didn't die and I can tell when my body is not feeling well. In that case I would break the fast, without trying to be a hero. TOM came and left already, without no sign of it, no pain, no issue. I wish every month could be like that!
I often have hard time to begin a fast and to stick to it though the first few days. If I could only feel for few minutes how I feel now, I would never hesitate on keep on going. I don't care about food, I don't even care how much I weight really, but I like how I look today, my face looks skinnier and I was almost losing my iron ring this morning on my Vespa! Even my hands are shrinking down apparently. That means I had chubby hands wth!
I'm sleeping well so far, apart from last night; but I'm thinking that it could be due to what happened to me during the day. I had a big fight at work, and all the words, calls and so on were coming back in my mind while I was in bed. I believe my adrenals are stressed, so today I bought a supplements for adrenals fatigue. I'll take a pill before bed, hoping that could help me sleep. If I don't sleep enough my weight doesn't move and in general my body doesn't get the chance to heal itself while resting.
Fasting Day #19
The weeks are passing, my fast is going very well so far. I don't feel any weakness in any time of the day, my mood is great, I'm not hungry and I can see my body shredding fat every day a bit more. The scale number doesn't go down quickly, but I never been a Big Loser, that's ok though - I'm in Ketosis and any loss is a loss, that's what matters. My ketosis is not extremely high, always between 15mg/dL and 40mg/dL; this is due to the coffee and cream that I drink every day. I know I should just drink plain water, but not an easy task for me. I can keep longer if I do it this way. After 40 days I'm thinking on introducing Bone Broth, but not 100% sold to this idea yet. My sleep is often interrupted by my urge to use the bathroom, otherwise I would say I sleep very well. Since just few days I started to take supplements for adrenal fatigue, one in the morning and 2 at night, hoping it will help me sleep better and relax my adrenals - I think the fast can put so much stress on it. I'm not thinking about food really, I don't even want to break the fast at the moment, maybe in me there is the consciousness that this fast will last long, so I just avoid wondering and asking myself on when is going to end. After all my weight goal is still pretty far. I'm trying to exercise 3 times a week when I can; I have a personal trainer that comes to my building at 6:00 AM, for about 45 minutes. She talks a lot and we don't achieve much for the whole hour, but I'm taking it as a way to build a healthy habit for my exercise routine. I shall do it by myself going forward. I don't see any big change in terms of strengths, maybe sometimes when I lift heavier weights with my arms, but I wasn't in shape before starting the fast anyway, so I don't know if it's actually me or the 19 days without solid food. I'm still having daily BMs, mostly liquid but my GI tract is still pretty active. Sometimes my belly is growling but in waves and is not for hunger, I think liquids or just the coffee effect. Very often, in my previous fasts, I was thinking about food, buying stuff that I would eventually eat, looking at new recipes. Now I really don't care about food or buying anything food related. It's so much easier without food, if we could only survive like this, lots of problems would be resolved for me. Don't get me wrong, I love food, I love cooking but it gives me so many temptations while when I'm in ketosis I can easily ignore any temptation and be happy. With this fast, I'm saving money and - since I'm in the process of buying a new car - is always good having extra cash for all my expenses, especially now that I'm quitting my second part time job. I see as a positive thing the fact that I'm not really concerned about food, about my scale, about the days left or the ones passing by. I don't want to be obsessed with food anymore, I want to enjoy my life, live and do whatever I want to do - without stressing about food and my heavy weight. I hope so much to reach my weight goal, whenever it will be, I don't mind fasting a bit longer, as long as I am on my ideal weight. Sometimes my left eye lid twitches, I think I'm having some Vitamins deficiency, but this is just my assumption. I'm not having dizziness either lately, which is good. I think if I keep myself active, doing anything rather than being a couch potato, I lose more and even my ketosis is better. Let's hope to see better losses in the next days!
Fasting Day #28
I'm on day 28 of this odd Fast. To be honest it's becoming a habit now, just having my coffees during the day, with some milk or cream. I don't miss food but I would like to see better results for my weight loss, instead it's going very slow. Good thing is that I don't feel hungry and never weak, my strengths are perfectly normal. I try to go to the gym 3 times a week, but my personal trainer sucks and we don't achieve much. I should start to workout by myself in addition with what I do with her. These past 2 days I was off from work, it was great actually having a day off. I hope I can soon stop working at my part time / weekend job. I really need time for myself, especially now that I have a car and I can go and see new things around me, or just enjoying myself doing absolutely nothing in front of the TV. Overall I feel good, I have the certainty that I will need to continue with this odd prolonged Fast for over 50 days, thinking about a 2 months target - in order for me to reach my weight goal. But I'm not worried about that really, as I was mentioning: it's becoming a habit and I know I'm saving a lot of money not eating solid food, although Starbucks coffees are quite expensive! I'm having BMs here and there, but still thinking on doing another colonics or at least weekly enemas, I think they will help me clean up my GI tract a bit, all this coffee most probably didn't do good to it, even though I drink decaf. I am no in ketosis in these days, I guess I had too much cream over the weekend and being inactive didn't help either, now I'm not measuring it, since I know it will take me another 2/3 days to get back into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment