Wednesday 27 August 2014

Initial Consultation

Yesterday I had my first consultation at the Dr Bernstein Clinic. I was there by 6:30AM so I won't be too late at work after. Usually they do these consultation sessions – not free of course – on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which are fairly less busy days since there are no patients coming for the weigh-in or injections.
The nurse gave us a wide explanation of what Bernstein Diet is and all the different types of food allowed during Diet/Maintenance. Once done they gave us a container for the urine to bring the day after with a sample, a little pouch bag, lots of brochures, a recipe book and a sheet that will need to be filled every day with a detailed description of what ate and the quantities.
I subscribed for a month and I bought the Vitamins that they recommend, they are very strict on brands, you cannot go with your own choice. I found the Multivitamins in a regular drug store (they were on sale) but for the Calcium and the Fish-Oil I wasn't able to find those specific brands so I bought it from them.
I got my first single injection as well – painful for few seconds I admit it – and they took my blood to do all kind of tests, I almost fainted going to work without all that blood and an empty stomach.
The official Diet usually starts 2 days after the initial consultation; they gave you the time to read all materials provided and to do some grocery shopping before strictly follow Bernstein plan.
On the Diary sheet they suggest not to eat starch or sugar in these 2 days prior the diet, also 2+ Liter of water are encouraged since day 0 so it's something that needs to be reported on the sheet as well on a daily basis.
I had normal lunch yesterday but I went shopping after work so I bought all kinds of products to start with, at night I had only one apple…feeling guilty for my Vanilla Latte and Lemon Poppy Seed I had in the morning.
I've to say the variety of food allowed is huge, so for this I'm not complaining and it doesn't seem little at all either. There are 4 groups of food and are allowed 2 servings for each group, here's the list: 
  1. Protein (mandatory group of 2 servings) 
  2. Vegetable 
  3. Bread substitution 
  4. Fruit
I spent all afternoon reading the material and trying to figure out what to eat the next days or what could be a generic meal. They suggest planning in advance your food for the week but for me it's still early, I think I'll need few days to come up with a menu or few dishes that I can prepare and save for few days. So I prepared tomatoes salad, bought some apples, and 3 delicious M&M products.
Oh well, I'll definitely miss my Starbucks Vanilla Latte I cannot deny...

No comments:

Post a Comment