Thursday 28 August 2014

Dr. Bernstein Diet - Day 1

Starts officially today my Dr. Bernstein Diet! So far I got lots of food from the Allowed-Food-List; I bought all the Vitamins/Supplements mandatory for the program and a new pitcher to filter my water.

I heard that the first 3 days are the worst, I've a mild headache and some sort of dizziness on and off, it's definitely not due to my lack of food since I just started, but I believe all these discomforts are caused by my vitamins/supplements. I've 14 pills to take every day! That's a lot considering that I'm a healthy person. Maybe my body just needs to adjust to all those supplements intake, I'm sure I will feel better in few days.

This morning I stopped to Starbucks - as I usually do before going to the office – but I had to change my Vanilla Latte for a Grande decaf coffee, it does taste awful but I hope I'll get used to it. Apparently I can use as much cinnamon as I want, so tomorrow I might try to sprinkle some in my coffee, hoping it helps the taste.

I got an apple for breakfast this morning and I'm starving now, but it's almost lunch time so I'm sure that's the reason why. I had 5 GoldFish to break down the hunger till noon; it works….but for about 10 minutes.  

I had already 1L of water so far and last night I learnt not to drink too much during the evening, so I won't wake up in the middle of the night to use the washroom…which happened at 2am this morning.

Drinking water is by far for me the biggest challenge, the trips to the washroom are annoying and it becomes difficult when I'm in a long meeting. I may have to learn on how to drink based on Dr. Bernstein instructions:
  • Morning: 1 litre consumed over 30 minute period
  • Noon: 1 litre consumed over 30 minute period
  • Evening: 1 litre consumed over 60 minute period (around food)

I don't think I would be able to drink 3L of water every day, especially since I want to try to avoid drinking at night but I have to follow the instructions, water is an essential part of the diet and I believe will help me mitigate the side effects of all those pills.

One thing of this diet is that you always have to keep your diary-sheet with you and update it every time you eat/drink something. There are numbers even to track your glasses of water – I found it very useful because refilling my half litre bottle multiple times can be hard to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment